Even if it was released in 2008, Kings of Leon's "Only By The Night" is still a rockin' good time. A lot of long-time fans get so upset about OBTN, and I just don't get it. I didn't know writing good songs with great lyrics, melody, and emotion was bad. I've heard "They used to be a rock band" before, and I was unaware that this changed. Right, whatever. Maybe I'll never understand, because I actually enjoy mainstream music. Unlike 140% of my fellow KSU students who are hipster scene kids that HATE radio music and smoke cigs like it's their job. I write songs, so I like to think that I listen to multiple genres with greater interest. You find a greater appreciation for songwriting in many different areas of music. Unfortunately, you'd think that you walked into a room and said "I just shit my pants," when saying "I like Nickelback." I'm not saying that this is the only kind of music I like, but I really don't see a problem with liking them. I totally respect people who can see past their own bullshit, and just listen to music for what it's meant for: ENJOYMENT.
A lot of music released today is ridiculously shitty. However, a lot of music is great too. I can see why people hate bands like Nickelback, but where's the hate for Kanye and Soulja Boy Tell 'Em? That stuff is terrible. Catchy beats don't always win. I have to admit, I love that stuff when I'm hammered and surrounded by pretty girls. The 90's kicked ass. Even rap music was great. Everything was so catchy, with bands and artists like Gin Blossoms, Live, Tonic, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G, etc. Somewhere along the line rap became beats with some other stuff going on. Where's the talent at? Oh well. Some of the most talented musicians/artists today include Alicia Keys, John Mayer, and a lot of others.
I'm glad I got that rant out of the way...
One of my favorite songwriters today:
Noel Gallagher (formerly of Oasis): Noel wrote 95% of Oasis' tunes, and now that he's gone, Oasis is effectively done. He's great at making simple songs that touch the masses. It's a modern version of what John Lennon was doing so many years ago. I hope he releases another solo album or makes up with Liam.
My favorites - "Little By Little", "Live Forever", pretty much all of "(What's The Story) Morning Glory", and so many others.
There's something special about anthemic songs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment